Thursday, July 15, 2010

Lesson 1: Friendship

The winds blew me north for a few days through endless winding mountain passes, along side lakes as blue as the summer sky, and past little towns nestled in ranchland pastures encircled by gentle ranges.

My bike happily hummed along next to that ever-present yellow dashed line on the hot pavement. At times it was quite hypnotic and my thoughts would wander to the ends of the earth.

One day in the middle of the Trinity National Forest I came across Dave and Peter, two best friends from Santa Rosa on their own little bike adventure. They had ridden these parts for a number of years now. We chatted for a few minutes while the bikes were getting fueled and said our farewells. Later that day I ran into them again and I accepted their invitation to share a camp at a beautiful, crystal-clear lake in the shadow of Mt. Shasta.

Dave owns a restaurant
and makes the most amazing coffee. Dave and Peter, both in their 50's have a friendship that I once had with my best friend growing up. Just seeing them together was, well, beautif
ul. The love, care and consideration they showed each other, and me for that matter, was a living re
minder
of how good people are, and how good they can be. Dave and Peter became my teachers this day and the next. I was an attentive pupil as they reminded me of some lessons long forgotten as well as new ones learned.
















At camp I also met Violet, who spoke 3 dialects of elvish and has a masters degree in Astrophysical Terrorism, no shit, I'm not making this up! At one point while Violet was talking to Dave about outer space and the CIA and what not he gave me this look that said,
"Holy shit!!
Is she for real?!?"

Violet is gracing Peter with one of her sermons as I sneak a photo.










My Bike made a few friends too....
















So what have I learned, or relearned...

Lesson 1: Family, friends and loved ones are the most important element we can have in our lives. Cherrish, nurture and hold it close to your heart over all else.



Namaste ~ :-)

1 comment:

LL said...

Happy travels, Johannes, as you ponder the words of Lucius Annaeus Seneca - "We learn not in school, but in Life" ~ LL : )