Monday, July 12, 2010

"The people paint the landscape."

To me this statement means simply that one can see the entire world, drink in fantastic vistas and landscapes, but still find it somhow devoid of the spirit of life without people. I have met the most amazing and wonderful spirits while on the road. That is not to say that the same opportunities are not present while on the homfront. However, when on the road one is more open to engage others or be engaged by them since our familiar surroundings, habits and routines are not with us.

Meet Shijir Khan. He moved to the states from Ulan Bhatar, Mongolia and has lived here for around two years. He works at the Angels Camp World Mercantile. Shijir's spirit is gentle and kind. He always greets me with a warm smile when I stop by for a cup of tea and a chat about what's going on in our lives.
Shijir, thank you for allowing me this photo.






On a beautiful late morning, riding further north, I met Melissa and Teal of the Sierra Rizing Baking Co. They invited me to the semi-annual fish fry that night assuring me I would make life-long friends. Who could say no??


I was quickly and willingly volunteered to help in the kitchen to prepare for the event. The food was spectacular.

Teal had a recipe for a broccoli salad that included a grain called quinoa. Mmmm, veggie hippie food!!






They were right about the event. I made new friends whom I'm sure I will come back and visit and go river rafting with.

The bands were both amazing but the best part was that the entire event was set up as a fundraiser for local nature conservancy and advocate groups like the American River Conservancy.







And so went the evening. The band played late into the night, with several hundred wonderful people from the community and afar gathered for this beautiful night.




I felt very blessed to be a part of it. The landscape had been painted once again.

Namaste ~ :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hows it going my friend ur trip. im allrite. school just started from yesterday.well that means im getting busy so im moved from Angels Camp to Pleasanthill Ca which is my college located and my appartment too. Good luck for trip. i had a lil surprise that my picture posted on almost first. lol